Already in 1932, on the initiative of Bishop Giulio Belvederi, the first catalog of photographs preserved in the Pontifical Commission of Sacred Archeology was published about the documentation referring to the numerous works undertaken for the protection and study of the Roman catacombs in the almost eighty years of activity of this Institution (since 1852). The photographic material compiled in this first publication amounted, at that time, to approximately 6000 units, including only the main Roman catacombs and reflecting, in its configuration, the idea of a sporadic initial collection, which arises from personal interests towards certain monuments or of special occasions such as archaeological excavations.
It is a very valuable document for the progress of archaeological studies and, being aware of this, we wish to publicize the existence of the PCAS Photographic Archive.
Check the photographic archive directly here: www.archeologiasacra.net
To request images and publication rights, download the Regulations for the Photographic Archive